Monday, July 17, 2017

Story Fragment #17: Surprising Message

As I walked the length of the strip mall that quiet Saturday morning, my mind was going in a hundred different directions. I had several errands to run, then I planned to spend the afternoon finishing a project for work. With all that going on in my head, it was surprising that the note on the sidewalk even caught my attention.

I think it was the paper itself that caught my eye, as it looked so completely out of place on the gray sidewalk. It was a lovely shade of blue, with geometric shapes outlined in black, and each row of shapes had a smaller inner shape, with the rows alternating turquoise, white and black. It was a tiny corner of the paper, which had been jaggedly ripped from the rest.

Fascinated, I bent to pick up the scrap of paper. When I flipped it over, I discovered a short five-word message: "Please help--trapped in Walmart." My entire agenda for the day had just been turned on its head.

No comments:

Post a Comment